Thursday, April 18, 2013

Plain, Simple, and Often Unsightly History

It's been a while since I posted new findings partially because my subscription is up but also I have been having a breather from this hobby while I focus on my health. The last few days however I became aware of a new television program placed on Hulu regarding the second World War. If you haven't watched "The Promise" I would recommend seeing it once just to open your perspective on world conflicts a bit more.

Having just finished the series this morning I can say that I have never been happier in my life that my Grandfather Harvey had not been sent overseas from Canada to serve with the British forces during the occupation of Israel. It is acctually apart of history I hadn't heard till now. This is maybe in part due to the fact that american schools teach very patriot-centriclly avoiding most especially when discussing war. My grandfather was lucky to escape as much conflict as possible during the war however his brother, Henry Charles, was not so lucky and died during 1944. Two of the other grand uncles I have may have also encountered a similar end but my access to records is minimal.

Last year my mother ordered a copy of Grandpa Harvey's war records. We knew he had served in WWII and in fact shipped off to a base in British Columbia with his brother Murray (who later married the stewardess that covered that flight). Having forgotten to make notes I can't be certain but I believe he enlisted with my Great Uncle Max, his brother in law by my Grandmother's sister. From the records my grandfather fulfilled his training quite well as a private in the Canadian corps of the British army. His transport to active duty overseas however was brought up short by the diabetic neuropathy in his legs though at the time they didn't define the cause. While his brothers and peers went over to die at the end of the war my Grandfather was left on base to fulfill rank duties there.

In fact by the time of his release from duty he had been given the rank of Acting-Sargent. That is not however the rank under which he was dismissed from service. He refused to accept the step in pay and rank just before his leaving because it had already disrupted his home life, (no doubt the 8 year difference between his first and last child as well as five years between middle and last) but also he felt unfit for the title given that he never experienced combat himself.

My grandfather has always been amazing to me in that same way as were his brothers and father who ran 'Earl Jones and Sons' in Windsor, Ontario. Grandpa Harvey took a job with the Shell Oil company but he also invested in other interests the biggest being the local Lions Club. My grandmother, his wife, was not entirely dis involved either as she volunteered for some years with the Red Cross, a suit that my second eldest cousin followed when she coauthored a book about it. All I have of my Grandfather today are some pictures and a lot of tears. When he passed I was only 5 years old and was so afraid of the changes that occured in him from his last few strokes I couldn't be held. That's a guilt I carry though I know he was reasonable enough to know why I was frightened. He showed me my first live fish under the short docks across from his old yellow house on the Detroit river. Being so little I was able to look between the slats and see them in the water. I also remember his office, though as a little child it looked like a personal library to me.

I can understand the power of grandfathers even though I've lost both of mine now. My Grandpa down from Missouri, Joseph Lincoln, also missed the war because of a Heart condition and like my northern Grandpa he served in local duty though as a personal secretary since he had gone to a 2 year college. Grandpa Jo showed me how to plant grass seed with straw so it wouldn't blow away. I'm just as happy with these memories knowing that I've lost them as people and it would be pointless to wish it all never happened because I wouldn't have the joy at all. So I am thankful many times over that both my grandfathers were saved from service abroad thought it may have hurt them to be left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment